26 May NO-FEAR Webinar: EMS living with COVID – a new reality
On Monday 11th May 2020, NO-FEAR partner Magen David Adom hosted a webinar on “EMS living with COVID – a new reality”. The webinar featured presentations by EMS staff and experts from the United States, France, Spain, Germany, Austria, and Israel who shared experiences from their respective countries, discussed the challenges they have been facing, and identified the different needs that are still to be addressed.
Many countries across Europe and beyond are moving away from the acute phase of the COVID-19 outbreak and as such, EMS are shifting into a new reality that is likely to remain for a considerable period of time. This new reality, whereby we are “living with COVID”, is characterised by the need for some restrictions to be put in place and EMS having to adjust how they do their regular business due to the constant risk. This shift to a new reality was the justification for the webinar, which was conducted with the idea that we are all learning as we move ahead, and we all believe that only together we are stronger. Approximately 35 participants joined the webinar and had the opportunity to hear presentations, including:
- Fire Chief Gary Ludwig, President and Chairman of the Board International Association of Fire Chiefs provided an update on the situation in the USA, including the impact of COVID-19 on fire and EMS personnel and the resulting operational changes
- David Page Director, Prehospital Care Research Forum at UCLA discussed staff education and the need to guide students in a home environment
- Catherine Bertrand and Eric Lecarpentier, AP-HP provided updates on the current situation in France and highlighted challenges in relation to nursing homes
- Kilian Bertho, BSPP discussed challenges in relation to staff resources and the potential impact of a second wave of COVID-19
- Paloma Miravet, Paloma Rey, SAMUR – Proteccion Civil Madrid shared their insights on the situation in Madrid and highlighted challenges concerning the potential duration of the COVID-19 crisis
- Uwe Kippnich, Bavarian Red Cross Headquaters, Munich discussed the situation in Bavaria and the activities and lessons that are being learnt under a new reality
- Andre Bauman, Berlin Fire Department highlighted challenges in relation to misinformation and how there is a need to adapt training procedures as the crisis evolves
- Monika Stickler, Head of EMS and PSS, Austrian Red Cross provided an update on the situation in Austria
- Chaim Rafalowski, Magen David Adom Israel concluded the webinar by sharing insights on the situation in Israel highlighting the need to think of a trauma patient as also a COVID-19 patient. Additionally, needs in relation to less corrosive technology and considering the environmental impact were raised
The above presents a brief summary of the webinar. To access a recording of this webinar, along with many others covering NO-FEAR’s response to COVID-19, log in to the NO-FEAR portal, or sign up here if you are not yet registered.
NO-FEAR is a 5-year project that brings together a network of emergency medical care practitioners, suppliers, decision and policy makers to collaborate and exchange knowledge, good practices, and lessons learned in disaster and crisis management. Our networks work together to develop a common understanding and to enhance the response to security-related incidents. The NO-FEAR project seeks to harness the rich experience of our members and leverage our network to improve the exchange of good practices and information in Europe and beyond. To join one of the NO-FEAR networks and become part of our community, sign up to our portal: http://www.no-fearproject-portal.eu.